EcoStation:NY is a Bushwick, Brooklyn-based nonprofit organization devoted to both food security and environmental justice, and where the two intersect: human and community health. We believe in the universal right of all to a healthy food supply and planet. We envision a future in which people have better access to affordable, locally-grown produce, access to land and the skills to grow food, and opportunities for community involvement, education, and meaningful employment for all.
Bushwick Farmers' Market Outreach/Events/Social Media Apprentice
10-30 hrs/wk (flexible); weekdays and Saturdays. Position runs through November 2013.
Location(s): Bushwick, Brooklyn
This is an unpaid apprenticeship.
Seeking outgoing and energetic individuals to work behind the scenes and on the ground in the "local food" movement, promoting access to farm-fresh healthy foods in underserved communities, increasing awareness of incentive programs available at farmers’ markets, and working to bring people together around food, nutrition, and sustainability.
Learn new skills and gain invaluable experience working with our Outreach Manager, Market Manager, and PR Director to publicize offerings and special events at our six farmers markets.
The optimal candidate(s) will be:
- Bilingual (Eng/Esp) with excellent written and verbal skills
- Outgoing - Able to establish and maintain new relationships in the community
- Organized - Able to help us build our community database (via Google Docs)
- Mobile! This position requires a lot of legwork (most of our staff bikes to work)
- Computer/Smartphone savvy: Live photo/blogging from markets via Facebook, etc
- Artistically Inclined: Graphics program experience (Photoshop/InDesign) OR desire to learn
- Valid NYS Driver license and truck driving experience (!) a big plus
- 18 and over, please
- Visit WIC centers, senior centers, and schools to promote the farmers’ markets and incentive programs
such as WIC & Senior FMNP, EBT, WIC Fruit & Veggie, and Health Bucks
- Help create and maintain market promotions through printed materials and social media
- Attend community meetings and events
- Help organize and implement fun and inviting activities and events at market locations
- Help to formulate and maintain an outreach calendar and a contact database
- Help with sales at market
Available immediately. To arrange an interview, email a brief cover letter and resume (if available) to: Sean@EcoStationNY.org.
to top of page